Note: The following only applies to the old Xbox One Controller. The new Xbox One Controller does not require any update.
This video shows how to update your Xbox One controller to work with the Xbox One Audio Adapter so it will work with your Turtle Beach headset:
You can check firmware update availability and system information on the Microsoft Website:
NOTE: These instructions only detail how to update the Xbox One Controller by using the HAC as a prompt. The actual update process does not involve the HAC and it can also be done by connecting the Xbox One Controller to a USB port on the Xbox One Console and going to Settings > System >Controller Update. This does not require the HAC to be plugged into the Xbox One Controller in order to update the firmware.
The Xbox One Wireless Controller firmware must be up-to-date in order to support the Headset Audio Controller. Follow these steps to update your Xbox One controller:
1. Make sure your console is on and you’re signed in and connected to Xbox Live.
Note: It’s important to connect to Xbox Live because your console will need the latest system update, which contains the newest controller software. If your console needs an update, you’ll be prompted to install one.
2. Plug the Headset Audio Controller into the bottom of your controller.
3. Plug the Headset into the Headset Audio Controller. A headset must be plugged in for the adapter to turn on.
4. Plug the large USB end of the included USB cable into the USB port on the side of theXbox One.
5. Plug the small end of the USB cable into the small USB slot on the top of the controller.
6. Instructions to install the update should automatically be displayed. You can also go to Settings > System > Controller Update. Follow the instructions, and don’t disconnect the USB cable while the update is in progress.
7. When the update is complete, unplug the USB cable from the controller.
8. Press the Xbox button on the Wireless Controller to turn it on.
Your controller is now up to date and you’re ready to use your Headset Audio Controller.
Note: You only need to update your controller one time, but if you plan to use the Headset Audio Controller with other Xbox One Controllers, you’ll need to repeat this process for each controller.
If you have a surround sound Xbox 360 headset and the Headset Audio Controller is only being used to add Chat Compatibility to your headset, make sure you have the following Xbox One Settings configured:
1. Press the “Menu” button on your Xbox One Controller
2. Go to Settings > Display and Sound > Optical Audio and select Bitstream Out.
3. Go to Settings > Display and Sound > Bitstream Format and select Dolby Digital.
After your headset is connected and your console settings are configured, press the Chat Audio button on the Headset Audio Controller until you only hear chat audio. This is done to make sure that Game Audio does not pass through the Headset Audio Controller.
Additional info can be found on Xbox.com: http://www.xbox.com/xboxone/controllerupdate