SYMPTOM: My microphone isn't working and other people in chat can't hear me.
TROUBLESHOOTING: If other players cannot hear you on Xbox LIVE, make sure your chat cable is firmly plugged in to the headset and Xbox 360 controller and that you have not muted your microphone using the controls on the cable or headset.
Try using another Xbox 360 controller as well. If that fixes the issue, then the chat jack in your Xbox controller is broken or warped and the controller will need to be replaced.
Connect the headset's USB plug to the Xbox, and connect the chat cable to the Xbox controller, then talk into the mic. If you can hear your voice through the headset, then you know that the microphone works correctly.
Xbox LIVE Message Test:
Next, try the testing your headset's chat features by leaving a Voice Message on the LIVE server. Press the Xbox Guide button, and navigate to the tab for your Xbox LIVE Gamertag:
- Select "Messages".
- Select "Create New".
- Select "Message".
- Select any Gamertag you have listed. If you currently do not have any Gamertags added yet, select "Enter Gamertag", then enter the letter "a", and select "Done".
- Pick someone to send the message to (you don't need to actually send the message, but you need to pick someone to proceed to the next step).
- Select "Add Voice".
- Now select the Record button and begin to record using your microphone, which is plugged into the Xbox 360 controller.
- When you are finished recording, select the Playback button to hear the recorded audio from this test.
- The message will play back, and you should hear yourself speaking. If you don't hear your recorded voice, please check to make sure that the Voice Volume is turned up in Xbox Guide > Settings > Preferences > Voice > Voice Output. (If you don't want to save or send the message, exit the Message screen and choose Yes, then Discard to discard the message.)
Did this message record and play back properly? If it did not, then your headset's chat cable may have been broken.
- If you heard your voice properly during those tests, the headset should be working correctly.
- If you could not hear your voice when you spoke into the mic, then there's a problem with the headset itself and you should Contact Support. Please make sure you let the support crew know the troubleshooting steps you have already gone through.
- Otherwise, you may need to replace your headset's Talkback Cable.