In September 2016, Sony announced a new, slimmer PS4 design that does not include a digital optical output. As a result, the optical cable from the Stealth 520 that ordinarily sends game audio to the product cannot be connected. To bypass this, the Stealth 520 can receive all audio from a PS4 USB port.
We developed a firmware update for the Stealth 520 that optimizes the headset controls when a optical cable isn't connected to the transmitter and PS4. The Stealth 520 firmware update is available through our Ear Force Audio Hub software.
NOTE: The original PS4 (2013) and PS4 Pro have an optical output so a firmware update is not necessary to use the Stealth 520 on those two PS4 models. Please see this article for more information: New Slimmer PS4 (2016) and PS4 Pro - Headset Compatibility.
Stealth 520 Firmware Update Instructions and PS4 Setup Without Optical
1. Download and install the Ear Force Audio Hub on your PC:
2. Open the Ear Force Audio Hub software.
3. Connect the Stealth 520 Transmitter to a USB Port on your computer.
4. Power the Stealth 520 Headset off, then connect the headset to another USB Port on your computer.
5. Wait for any Windows drivers to install. When completed, the Ear Force Audio Hub should detect both components.
6. A prompt will appear to update your product's firmware. Click 'Yes' and wait for the firmware installation process to complete. This may take 3-5 minutes.
7. When you receive a prompt that the update has completed successfully, click 'OK' and disconnect the headset and transmitter from your computer.
8. Plug the Stealth 520 transmitter into a USB port on your PS4 and power the headset on.
9. Go to Settings > Devices > Audio Devices
- Select USB Device for Input & Output Device
- Set Output to Headphones to All
- Set Volume Control (Headphones) level to maximum
- Select Adjust Microphone Level and follow the on-screen instructions to calibrate your microphone.
The Stealth 520 will now be set up and configured for use on your PS4 without an optical cable connection.
Stealth 520 Controls With and Without Optical
The diagram below shows the different button functions (highlighted) depending on the audio input. The controls listed under 'Headset Controls Without Optical' are only active when the optical cable is not plugged into the transmitter.
When the Optical cable isn't plugged into the Stealth 520 Transmitter:
- Game Volume Control becomes the Master Volume Control (adjusts both game and chat volume).
- Chat Volume Control becomes a variable Mic Monitor Volume Control (adjusts the volume you can hear your own voice).
- Dynamic Chat Boost (originally enabled by holding the Mic Mute Button) is unavailable.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Will an updated Stealth 520 work on a original PS4 (2013) and PS4 Pro?
A. Yes, the Stealth 520 will still work perfectly fine on a original PS4 (2013) and PS4 Pro, with or without the optical cable. The Stealth 520 buttons will function differently depending on your setup as shown in the diagram above.
Q. Do I need to press anything on the headset to change the Stealth 520 Headset Controls?
A. No, the Stealth 520 control functions will switch automatically when the optical cable is plugged or unplugged from the transmitter.
Q. Will my overall volume and Mic Monitor volume levels stay the same if I switch from a non-optical cable setup to an optical cable setup?
A. No, the separate Game/Chat Volume and Mic Monitor volume will return to their default levels or the last volume levels they were set to.
If you have any further questions about the firmware update, feel free to contact our support team through our Contact Support form here.