In 2016, a new, slimmer PS4 model was released that does not include a digital optical output. As a result, the optical cable from the Stealth 400 that ordinarily sends game audio to the product cannot be connected.
To bypass this, you can receive all audio via the Stealth 400 transmitter USB Connection. We developed a firmware update for the Stealth 400 that optimizes the headset functions when the optical cable isn't connected. You can update the Stealth 400 firmware with our Turtle Beach Audio Hub software.
NOTE: The original PS4 (2013) and PS4 Pro have an optical output so a firmware update is not necessary to use the Stealth 400 on those two PS4 models. Please see this article for more information: New Slimmer PS4 (2016) and PS4 Pro - Headset Compatibility.
Stealth 400 Firmware Update Instructions and PS4 Setup Without Optical
2. Open the Turtle Beach Audio Hub software.
3. Connect the Stealth 400 Transmitter to a USB Port on your computer.
4. Power the Stealth 400 Headset off, then connect the headset to another USB Port on your computer.
5. Wait for any Windows drivers to install. When completed, the Turtle Beach Audio Hub should detect both components.
6. A prompt will appear to update your product's firmware. Click 'Yes' and wait for the firmware installation process to complete. This may take 3-5 minutes.
7. When you receive a prompt that the update has completed successfully, click 'OK' and disconnect the headset and transmitter from your computer.
8. Plug the Stealth 400 transmitter into a USB port on your PS4 and power the headset on.
9. Go to Settings > Devices > Audio Devices
- Select USB Device for Input & Output Device
- Set Output to Headphones to All
- Set Volume Control (Headphones) level to maximum
- Select Adjust Microphone Level and follow the on-screen instructions to calibrate your microphone.
The Stealth 400 will now be set up and configured for use on your PS4 without an optical cable connection.
Stealth 400 Controls With and Without Optical
The diagram below shows the different button functions (highlighted) depending on the audio input. The controls listed under 'Headset Controls Without Optical' are only active when the optical cable is not plugged into the transmitter.
When the Optical cable isn't plugged into the Stealth 400 Transmitter:
- Game Volume Control becomes the Master Volume Control (adjusts both game and chat volume).
- Chat Volume Control becomes a variable Mic Monitor Volume Control (adjusts the volume you can hear your own voice).
- Dynamic Chat Boost (originally enabled by holding the Mic Mute Button) is unavailable.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Will an updated Stealth 400 work on a original PS4 (2013) and PS4 Pro?
A. Yes, the Stealth 400 will still work perfectly fine on a original PS4 (2013) and PS4 Pro, with or without the optical cable. The Stealth 400 buttons will function differently depending on your setup as shown in the diagram above.
Q. Do I need to press anything on the headset to change the Stealth 400 Headset Controls?
A. No, the Stealth 400 control functions will switch automatically when the optical cable is plugged or unplugged from the transmitter.
Q. Will my overall volume and Mic Monitor volume levels stay the same if I switch from a non-optical cable setup to an optical cable setup?
A. No, the separate Game/Chat Volume and Mic Monitor volume will return to their default levels or the last volume levels they were set to.
If you have any further questions about the firmware update, feel free to contact our support team through our Contact Support form here.